The Donkey Sanctuary of Canada has developed the following
Accessible Customer Service Plan
to assist with providing goods and services to people with disabilities.
The Donkey Sanctuary of Canada (DSC) is committed to excellence in serving all customers, including those with disabilities.
Information about accessibility to the DSC’s programs, facilities, goods and services will be available on the accessibility page of the DSC’s website. This information also will be provided to people who call or email for information.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will attempt to improve accessibility to the DSC’s grounds and facilities where practical and possible, and will strive to provide alternatives in those cases where areas are not accessible to those using assistive devices.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disabilities.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public, with the exception of areas where donkeys are loose.
We will strive to offer reasonable alternatives for persons requiring assistance from service animals, with consideration for safety given priority.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
· On Open Days, admission is by donation: a person with a disability and their support person may make a voluntary donation if they wish to do so, but admission fees are not required to access our premises.
· On Donkey Day, support persons will be charged full admission fees as determined for each year’s event. We will notify customers of this practice on our website, as well as by phone should people call to enquire.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, we will notify customers promptly. Notice will be posted at the barnyard entrance. Notice will be posted on our website, including information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
We will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf. Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
· All full and part time staff
· All volunteers
· DSC Board members
· Third party contractors who will engage with members of the public on the DSC’s behalf
Training will include:
· An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard.
· The DSC’s plan related to the customer service standard.
· How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
· How to access facilities available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities.
· What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing the DSC’s goods and services.
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to the plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way the DSC provides goods and services to people with disabilities can do so by email, verbally in person and verbally over the phone. In addition, a feedback form will be made available for download from the website, and copies will be available at the Welcome Centre on Open Days and Donkey Day.
All feedback will be directed to the Operations Manager, and complaints will be addressed according to the DSC’s regular complaint management procedures.
Customers can expect to hear back in 2-7 business days.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of The Donkey Sanctuary of Canada that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.